Don’t become that social media user who:
- everyone wonders, “could he be one of those Kenyan or Russian Bots or just a Fake Account.
- their network thinks they are only trying to sell their latest widget.
- only spouts political or religious stuff online.
- strives to foster fear and animosity in their network.
- only looks to ‘pick a fight’ in every comment.
- gets all excited when they hijack a conversation.
- only shares pics of drop-dead gorgeous, sexy, lean, slick, shimmering scantily clad cars or multimillion-dollar estates.
- drops stuff into social media hourly, but never joins into the conversations.
- has a stuck selfie trigger finger.
- seeks opportunities to criticize, condemn and complain about anything all the time.
- sends out friend requests and connection requests to every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the Milkyway.
- the moment they discover you disagree with them in any way they remove you as a Friend or Connection.
- has never updated their social media profiles in the past 30 years. (hehe)
- still has their college yearbook picture as their profile pic.
- shares everything from Publisher Clearing House Ginsu knives, stories of the lost Satchsquatch, the best practices of cutting glass, etc, etc, but never anything about themselves or their family/community.
- shares everything across all social media platforms at once.
- feels the nasty/disgusting language they use on social media is ok, even though they would never say it in real life.
- says, I don’t care about people on social media. They are not real to me.
- does not verify what they post, especially when it seems like it could be fake.
This is just a shortlist of the types of social media users we should strive not to be.
If you want to create value using social media, enjoy using social media, be trusted, respected and even liked for your use of social media, be better than all this above.
Consider how you are using social media. Remember, it all has to be TRUHE
- Engaging, exciting, educational, entertaining
And, it can’t be all about you.